History of the Library
In 1912 the Rehoboth Beach Public Library received its first state grant, in the amount of $37.50. According to a 1959 interview done by the Delaware Coast Press, there were multiple locations for the library. The locations included the old Fire Hall Building and various private homes, schools, and churches. One such home was reported to be on the northeast corner of Rehoboth Avenue and First Street with an estimated date of 1926-1927.
A 1913-1914 state library commission report states: "The necessary amount required by the state has been raised, and with books given by the Library Association of that place and those donated by summer visitors, and with the aid of a traveling library a most promising beginning has been made."
In September 1933 a town commissioner reports a suggested library budget of $150.00 annually, including $50.00 for the then volunteer librarian.
Under Delaware law, school boards were authorized to handle state grants and select commissioners for what were called school district libraries. Rehoboth's free public library so qualified until 1975, when it chose to become an independent library, which it remains to this day. Rehoboth Beach Library has been at its current location since 1985 with the east end addition completed in 2000.
Many thanks to Ann Duffin for numerous research hours on the library history.